Thursday, August 9, 2012

Miss American Pie.

I love blueberry pie, but today I didn't exactly have all the time in the world. Not a problem.


I went to my local grocery store (which happens to be H.E.B) and they had Athens Phyllo Shells to make miniature desserts out of. They're about $2 per 15 shells, and make pie making a breeze.


Literally all you have to do is whip up a pie filling, fill these shells, and bake them for around 6 to 8 minutes. It took me around 15 minutes overall to make 20 of these adorable pies.


I then decided I wanted to challenge myself. Everyone has taken on the challenge of cake pops. By now so many blogs have exotic cake pop designs, that my normal round ones dipped in chocolate looked lame with a capital L! So why can't we have pie pops? The all american treat you could call them.


Why not indeed. Pie pops are SO much easier to make then cake pops. All you have to do is make whatever pie filling you want (I chose blueberry). Then, you either roll out a store bought or homemade crust. (I decided to go all out and make a homemade crust, and my recipe is at the bottom of this post!)  Then make circles on your crust with a glass (depending how big you want you pie pops that's how big of a glass rim you use). Put half of your circles on a greased and floured baking sheet and fill them up with your filling! I added a cake pop stick for effect and topped them off with another circle of crust! I sprinkled the tops of the crust with sugar and nutmeg, and even added a design with a fork around the edges! Fancy huh?


Are pie pops the next cake pops? Just watch them take the web by storm after this post! :)
Okay here's the important stuff. The recipe!

Blueberry Pie Filling Recipe
4 to 5 cups of blueberries
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon of lemon juice

My Homemade Pie Crust

1 cup of flour
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/4 cup of oil
3 tablespoons of ice water

Mix the flour and sale together in a bowl. Separately from the dry ingredients, mix the oil and water together until the mixture looks milky. Add to the dry ingredients and mix. Roll out into a crust adding water or flour if needed.

Also, a new American Test Kitchen thing is using vodka in pie crust! It helps it roll out so much smoother! If you want to try vodka in your crust, just reduce the ice water to 1.5 tablespoons and add 1 1/5 tablespoon of vodka!

Happy Baking!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

KeepCalmand... Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

© 2011 Bows, Pearls, and Texas Girls., AllRightsReserved.